Syracuse Community Choir Presents: Everyone Can Create! — A Workshop
Saturday October 21st – 9am to 1:30pm
The Syracuse Community Choir believes that everyone can sing and that everyone can create!
Join us for a morning of workshops around different performing arts and musical elements and be ready to learn and create with fellow community members!
Grace Episcopal Church, 819 Madison Street
REGISTER BY Friday October 20th TO ENSURE A SPOT (see “How to Register in Advance” below). Walk-in participation welcomed!
Adults: $25- $50 includes 2 workshops and lunch
*Child care available* Interactive children’s workshops during both Session 1& 2.
9:00-9:30am Sign In/ Coffee/Tea Welcome
9:30-10:45 Session 1 Workshops (see choices, below)
11:00am-12:15p, Session 2 Workshops (see choices, below)
12:15-1:15pm Lunch / Share & Appreciations
LUNCH Provided: Homemade Vegan Soup; with bread and fruit. Coffee, Tea & Juice.
1. Spoken Word / Lyrical / Slam Poetry Performance: Learn how to make your stories lyrical and how to “perform in your truth” in front of an audience. With Ruthnie Angrand.
2. Voice Lessons/Vocal Training: Learn to sing stronger; phrasing, breath and listening. With Alyssa Courter, Creative Team.
3. Gospel Songs: Sing a variety of songs: spirituals, call and response and singing up to the present day. With Marcia Hagan, Creative Team.
4. Songwriting: Learn the basics of creating lyrics and music with Kath Fathers, Creative Team.
5. For Children: Make a puppet! Make a play! With Open Hand Theater.
1. Ukulele Workshop: Learn the basics and learn a song with Zeke Leonard from the SyraUke group. Ukuleles provided, but bring one if you have one!
2. Finding Your Voice: Sit down and write new poetry and prose. Share new pieces or old ones with open ears. Learn some tips. With Jackie Warren-Moore, Poet and Activist.
3. Understanding Music: Fundamentals of reading music; time, measures, beats, notes…the basics! with Theresa Ladd, Chorus teacher at Corcoran HS.
4. Improv Theater: Intro to improv techniques and theater exercises with Jill Tibbett and Friends from the Susan B Anything Theater Troop.
5. Songs of Resistance: Learn and sing songs of resistance; bring songs to share, create simple songs to use for rallies and marches with Karen Mihalyi (SCC Founder) Joe Driscoll (Musician & activist) and Dream Freedom Resistance.
6. For Children: Theater Games; act, express yourself, and have fun! With Riley Mahan, local actress & musician.
Homemade Vegan Soup; served with bread and fruit.
Coffee, Tea, Cider will be available.
HOW TO REGISTER IN ADVANCE
BY MAIL: Please print out this pdf and mail the 2nd page along with your check (made payable to Syracuse Community Choir) to SCC, 601 Allen St., Syracuse, NY 13210. Please be sure to mail your registration in time to arrive by Friday 10/20. Alternatively, you can give it to Alison Mullan-Stout at the 10/18 Choir Rehearsal.
ONLINE: Fill Out and submit this online registration form. You can send in a check (see above) or come back here to pay using the PayPal button, below. Because you are able to select your payment amount, we need to use the DONATE button. Please enter your name and the names of anyone else you are paying for.